This is my online journal documenting my attempted escape from debt hell. If you think that applying the term "hell" to being in debt is too extreme, you've probably never come close to the point of no return.Please feel free to follow me on this escape mission, maybe all of us will learn a thing or two along the way.

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Read 3 times daily: Morning, Noon and Night!

I found this on the Discussion Forum at Get Rich Slowly, posted by Cleverbeans . I'm posting it here primarily for my own benefit, but it looks like a powerful motivator to keep me from losing focus:

Goal: Get out of debt

Why am I committed to achieving this goal right now?
To make sure that my money is working for me and my family, not someone else. To prove something about my self-discipline and character to my friends and family. To simplify my bills every month and free up my time which is precious to me. Because it's a smart thing to do,and I'm a smart guy!

How will I feel when I've completed this goal?
Fantastic! I'll have a lot of freedom that I didn't have before, and I'll be more confident. I'll be very excited about getting to watch my wealth grow rather then dwindle and that passion will translate into all areas of my life. My relationship with my wife will be more loving and peaceful, which will feel amazing. I'll feel very focused as well, knowing how much I've accomplished will only drive me to greater heights. I'll feel more loving because I'll be able to support my kids through college and afford them every opportunity they deserve, all the while teach them about responsible money management.

What will it cost me to not change today?
I'll be losing money hand over fist every single day I delay this. The strain on our finances will also strain my marriage, and it pains me to argue with the woman I love and not be able to buy her the things I want because we're broke all the time. I won't be able to send my children through college and I'll feel awful watching them struggle under the burden of huge student loans or worse, never going to college at all because they can't afford it. If I don't make this change, I'll also be teaching my kids all the wrong things about money and I owe them more then that. I'd lose a lot of the passion I have for life the longer that I go on like this knowing that I could be doing better but choosing not to. I'd be ashamed of my finances and that would likely lead to lying about it to my loved ones, and that's not the kind of man I want to be.

No comments: